Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Local Hero

Last week after getting bored on the trainer I decided I would download the new sufferfest video, Local Hero. Tonight was the first time I did it and boy did it kick my ass. I was expecting it to be the cycling version of a lame workout video, and it would not be the hard. Boy was I wrong, TT with spartacus and out sprinting Thor are not easy things. You warm up with an easy cyclocross race then go to a crit where you have to do a couple accelerations to grab wheels etc, but then the real workout starts where you do 3x6minutes time trialing with Porte (easier), Millar (medium), and Cancellara. (hard). The six minutes are broken into 1 minute (7/10 100 rpm), 1 minute (7.5 100), 2 minutes (8 100+) and then back down. These kicked my ass and put the legs in the hurt zone for the rest of the video. Next, I had to do the road race which was broken into I think 5 3 minute laps with 2 minutes rest in between (I don't remember exact number of laps because the brain was fried after the tt). These laps consisted of high cadence hard stuff as well as some low cadence climbing. After doing hard 6 minuters these did not feel as hard, but I was still hammering. To finish it up you have to sprint for the win but this is not your typical 30 second sprint for the finish it last 2 minutes (build the first minute, harder for 35 seconds, then sprint with everything you have for the last 25 seconds). After the sprint I thought I was finished and had no more gas in the tank, luckily for me they decided to have a couple more sprints after. These ones were terrible and I my legs didn't want to turn the cranks anymore.

If anyone is looking for a longer, hard workout I would definitely suggest downloading Local Hero. It has been 2 hours since I completed the workout and my legs are still sore. Then again if you have troubles really pushing yourself this video may or may not work for you being that everything is perceived effort and if you want to get the most out of it you really have to push yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment