Sunday, February 27, 2011

Spring Break and Really Chilly 5K

Spring Break
Why do they even bother calling it spring break when it is still winter. I think we should get another break once it is spring so we can actually get some quality sbr in. Luckily I got to go down to Tennessee for a couple days and get some really good running in. It was nice that the break fell at the same time as a "recovery" week for me so I didn't have to try to cram three workouts in everyday. My average day was usually a run in the morning and then spending the afternoon travelling to various bike shops and running stores trying to find some good deals. I ended up getting a couple new bathing suits, racing flats, training shoes, a cycling jersey, and a new bike computer. The first day there I did a 90 minute run on the back roads and there was not a single flat spot during the entire thing. I think it took the whole week to fully recover from that run.

Really Chilly 5k
Today was my first real test of fitness at the Really Chilly 5k. I ran 17:01 which is the fastest open 5k I have run since grade 11 and only 9 seconds of my 5k pb. Definitely can't complain about that result when it was like running through a giant puddle the entire race. I have only been running 3 days a week so I wasn't really sure what my run fitness would be like so I went out with the main group (one guy just took off straight from the gun and ran a 15:38 didn't even have a chance of going with him since some little kids decided to sprint off the start and box me in). I was in a group with maybe 4 guys from London Runner so I just tucked in and let them do the work for the first 2k but I was feeling pretty good and put in a little surge to see how everyone legs were feeling. They came with me so after about 100m I turned off the gas and sat back in the group. At the 3k mark I made my move knowing that I had to break the group up or I had no chance of coming second so I put my head down and hammered for about 500m and no one came with me. At this point I just did not want to look back and kept the legs turning. I was able to break them and finish second which is great for this early in the season. Felt extremely well and wished I would have tried to go with the winner even if I would have blown up. Splash and dash is this weekend so the 10k should be interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment