Thursday, June 9, 2011

Belle River Triathlon

I decided on writing a quick race report from the Belle River triathlon this morning before I go out for my run. It was an excellent race, and my first win in an open triathlon.

Swim 600m + 400m run to transitions - 10:33 (1:46/100m)
Belle River and Knoxville are perfect examples of why you cannot compare triathlon results from race to the next as conditions and course can vary so much. In Knoxville I swam 1:37s for almost 3 times the distance. I blame the approximately 400m run to transition. Either way this was my best placing in the swim. I came out of the water in third with both first and second in sight.

Bike 30k plus T1 and T2 - 44:24 (40.5 kmh)
The bike felt very good, and I was riding behind the lead car for the whole thing except a small part when I was putting my shoes on. Compared to the rolling course in Knoxville the Belle River course was pancake flat. This showed when I averaged almost 4 kmh faster over only 10k shorter. It felt good to be in the lead, and I just kept the head down trying to keep everyone away.

Run 5k - 17:20 (3:28)
After pushing hard on the bike I had nothing left in the tank for the run. I think the only thing that got me to the finish line was that I was in the lead. I was actually surprised I ran this fast because it did not feel like it.

Transitions 
They didn't have mats to separate the transition times from the bike times, but both my transitions were much faster than the others in the race. I was able to go from third to first during the first transition. This is becoming a pattern as I did the same thing in Kingston and the Queen's Spring Fling.

Overall I put together a pretty solid performance through all three disciplines. This was my first of three triathlons in three weeks. This weekend I will be doing the Woodstock Triathlon that is part of the Multisport Canada Series. This race will have a bigger field with some strong competitors if it is anything like last year. I am getting pumped because my parents said if I can finish out this triple strong they are going to try and send me to Kelowna for age group nationals.

It was a busy weekend of racing around the world, and congrats to everyone on some big performances.

No comments:

Post a Comment