Friday, May 17, 2013

Triple T Super Sprint

I think the super sprint might be my calling. About 25 minutes of torture, and it is all over. The course for the super sprint was a funky triangle 250m swim, a 6k bike where you go down hill for about 500m uphill for 2.5k, 250m down 250 up, and a 1500m downhill, followed by a 1 mile run.

The start was delayed for 25 minutes because they were worried about a storm moving in. It started to rain a bit, but not enough to notice.

The swim was a time trial start with 3 guys going off every 3 seconds. My plan for the super sprint was to go hard from the gun because I should have enough time to recover before the rest of the races. You could dolphin dive for about the first 10m before you made a sharp right hand turn to start the triangle. I managed to catch the 3rd place guy before the first buoy and was up to the leaders by the second buoy. After that it was a 3 or 4 wide drag race for the exit. I managed to come out of the water first which is a really strange feeling.

I exited t1 still in the lead and it was off on the bike. All I wanted to do was get to the top of the hill asap and could recover on the way down. I got caught by one guy right at the bottom and another at the top. I repassed the last guy on the downhill where I "recovered" going 70kmh.

The run was uneventful as the gap between everyone stayed about the same. I think because it was such a low cadence grind up the hill on the bike my legs just did not want to turn over. I crossed the finish line second, but with the time trial start we are not sure if I was 2nd or not.

Angela had a really good race as well passing a lot of people on the swim bike and run. There is a chance she was the first girl overall, but we are waiting to see the results in the morning. Hugh and Amanda had great races also, but Hugh thought he might have been a bit slower than last year or the swim longer.

You can't win the race in the super sprint, but you can lose it. We all finished and are in good spirits heading into the double olympic tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment